I went on a girls trip about 2 years ago for around eight days. It was truly the most amazing eight days I’ve ever had in a city I am actually well acquainted with, go to yearly and usually do the same things, year in, and year out. With this trip, we decided to do things we never did before in Cape Town. Going on a girls trip is something every woman should do at least once in her lifetime.
Here’s what we did:
- Attended a cooking class and learned to cook Cape Malay dishes
- Watched a Comedy show
- Ticked off some individual Bucket list items
- Had lunch at the harbour in Hout Bayi
- Rode on the Red bus
- Went for wine tasting and food pairing
- Went clubbing
- Did so much shopping
- Went on a park run
- Had a spa day
We really tried to pack in as many things as possible in one day which made us quite tired at night, but it was so incredibly worth it.
Here is my list of things I think you need to decide on when planning your trip:
- Who do you want to take along? This is probably the most important question as it will determine the vibe on your trip.
- What is your budget?
- Where do you want to go? What are the COVID (or other health) regulations? Do they require you to be vaccinated? One jab or both? Remember to then take your cards as proof along.
- How will you get there? Get quotes on different airlines or bus services.
- Where will you stay? Get quotes from various establishments. I find it easier to stay in a central place that is easily accessible and has ample parking, should you hire a car, if you are going to a city. If you are going to a resort then parking becomes irrelevant (yay!).
- Will you need foreign currency? Will you need to open your bank cards so that you can withdraw or swipe to make payments? Remember to put a transaction limit on them.
- Do you have any specific dietary requirements, and will your accommodation cater for it? If you are staying at a self catering establishment, is there a well-stocked shop close by to buy food from?
- What do you plan to do while on your vacation? Do some research on what you can do in the area, take a tour, a cooking class or something that you don’t usually do.
- Do a packing list that includes passports (if necessary), walking shoes, summer shoes, winter jackets, rain jackets, chargers and the basic meds you will need just in case, since one never knows. Remember to take all the things you need to take along and keep a list of those items.
- Will you need a sim card to be reachable? If so, what are the location regulations around that? In South Africa, for example, you need either a South African ID and proof of address.
- Pack appropriate outfits for the trip depending on what your plans are.
Wherever you go, ensure you laugh a lot, eat good food, relax much, catch up with your girlfriends, have late night chats and bond. Oh and, of course, take lots of photos!